Hackettstown (Warren County) – This afternoon(2/9/16) at 1:44PM the Hackettstown Police and Fire Department responded to the Hackettstown Senior Housing (681 Willow Grove St) in reference to an activated fire alarm.
Once officers arrived on scene, the officers observed smoke coming from an apartment on the 3rd floor and heavy smoke in the hallway. An evacuation of the residence in the building was started by the police.
There were 2 residents that were transported to Hackettstown Regional Medical Center for smoke inhalation and 8 other residents had smoke inhalation but refused medical attention at the scene. Due to the amount of patients a level 2 MCI plan was activated, according to police.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to human carelessness,according to police.
The apartment sustained fire and water damage and was determined to be uninhabitable. There was also an apartment on the second floor that sustained water damage,according to police.
Assisting at the scene was the Hackettstown Rescue Squad, Hackettstown Fire Police, Budd Lake Fire Department, Tri County Fire Company, Mansfield Twp Rescue Squad, Independence Twp Fire Department, Independence Twp Rescue Squad, Independence Twp Police, Oxford Twp Rescue Squad, Washington Boro Fire Department, Washington Twp Rescue Squad, Allamuchy-Green Rescue Squad, Long Valley Rescue Squad, Warren County Sheriff’s Department, Warren County Fire Marshal and the Mt Olive Twp Fire Marshal.