News

Boiler malfunction prompts temporary evacuation at Dover apartment building

DOVER, NJ (Morris County) – Four apartments were temporary evacuated early Sunday morning when a boiler malfunctioned in a Dover apartment building,  according to Dover Public Safety Director Daniel DeGroot said.

At 2:41 a.m., a fire was reported in a basement laundry room of Dover Garden Apartments, located at 38 Roswell Street, DeGroot said.

A resident heard a fire alarm sounding and observed flames through the window of the laundry room, DeGroot said.

Firefighters observed the fire to be confined to the building’s natural gas heating unit, which had malfunctioned due to flooding from heavy rainfall, allowing flames to escape from the boiler, DeGroot said.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire by shutting off the natural gas supply. Gas company personnel locked the gas supply until repairs are done, DeGroot said.

There were no injuries or damage to the structure, DeGroot said.

Residents of the four apartments above the laundry room were temporarily evacuated for 90 minutes until their apartments were determined to be safe by firefighters, DeGroot said.

The apartment manager had to have the water removed, the drain cleared in the basement, and the boiler serviced, DeGroot said.

For more Northwest Jersey’s News, tune into 92.7FM, 104.7FM, 105.7FM, 1510AM, wrnj.com or on the TuneIn app.

By: Jay Edwards Follow on Twitter | Like on Facebook