DOVER, NJ (Morris County) – A furry friend was rescued by Dover firefighters on Monday morning after a fire broke out inside a townhouse, according to Dover Public Safety Director Daniel DeGroot.
At 10:16 a.m., the Dover Fire Department repsonded to a reported structure fire at 6 Byram Avenue. The residence is an end unit of a townhouse complex, DeGroot said.
Firefighters detected the odor of burning plastic, and observed heat and smoke at the front door of the home. Upon making entry, firefighters encountered heavy, thick smoke reducing their visibility. With the aid of a thermal imaging camera, the source of the fire was located, DeGroot said.
Dover police officers safely evacuated all adjoining units. Aside from the resident’s dog, no one was home at the time of the fire, DeGroot said.
Firefighters quickly and safely rescued the dog, which was transported to a local animal clinic by Randolph Animal Control where it is expected to make a full recovery, DeGroot said.
The fire, which started in the area of an electric heater, caused heat and smoke damage throughout the two-story residence. It did not spread beyond the unit where it started. The fire was extinguished within 7 minutes, DeGroot said.
The American Red Cross is assisting the occupant with temporary housing needs, DeGroot said.
The fire remains under investigation by the Dover Fire Official, but it’s not considered suspicious at this time, DeGroot said.
Rockaway Borough and Picatinny Arsenal Fire Departments assisted at the scene.