MORRIS TOWNSHIP, NJ (Morris County) – Police are investigating a string of burglaries that have been targeting Asian business owners’ homes over the past five months, according to a post on the Morris Township Police Department’s Facebook page.
The owners of five Asian restaurants/businesses in Morris County have been victims of burglaries at their private residences. In each of the incidents, entry was gained through the side or rear of the home and the entire house was ransacked.
In some cases, currency, safes, birth certificates, passports and other documents were removed and valuables were left behind. Prior to one of the burglaries, a business owner had their insurance card stolen from their vehicle while it was parked at their business. This also happened in a similar burglary outside Morris County.
These type burglaries are taking place all over New Jersey and similar incidents have been reported in Pennsylvania and Delaware. The Morris County Sheriff’s Office, the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office and other Law Enforcement Agencies are coordinating their efforts to determine who is responsible for these crimes.
Police offer these preventive measures to keep your home safe:
- Lock the windows and doors to your residence
- Do not hide spare keys outside your home
- Lock your vehicle
- Keep vehicle documents in your wallet and not your car
- Do not leave large amounts of currency in your home
- If possible, secure important documents (birth certificates, passports…) in a safe deposit box or other secure location
- If you have a home security system, make sure it is turned on and operational with Cloud based or off site storage capability
- Report any suspicious activity (vehicles, people) at work/home to local police
- Inform your family, friends and neighbors about these incidents and encourage them to report anything suspicious to local police
Anyone with additional information or questions about these incidents can contact the Morris County Sheriff’s Trends and Analysis Team (MCSTAT) at 973-682-8711, firstname.lastname@example.org , the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Intelligence Unit at (973) 285-6300, email@example.com or the Morris Township Police Department at 973-539-0777.