RNJ News Department

Fire that destroyed Andover Twp. home started near chimney

ANDOVER TOWNSHIP, NJ (Sussex County) – A fire that destroyed a Cedar Drive home Sunday morning is not considered suspicious.

The investigation, conducted by the Andover Township Police Department and the Sussex County Fire Marshal’s Office, was centered around the chimney area as to being the cause and origin of the fire. The fire is not considered suspicious in nature at this time.

Emergency crews were dispatched to Cedar Drive in the Lake Lenape section of Andover Township at around 6:20 a.m. for a report of a house fire. When township officers arrived on scene, the home was confirmed to be fully involved.

A newspaper delivery person was the first to call in to 911 to report the fire. He attempted to bang on the door and windows to the residence in order to alarm anyone who may have been inside due to seeing heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof and fire place area. It was later determined no one was home at the time of the fire.

The Andover Township Fire Department responded to the scene along with mutual aid departments which included Andover Boro, Newton, Sparta, Byram, Green and Hampton. Lakeland Emergency Squad were on scene and provided a rehab station for fire personnel.

Due to the subzero temperatures icing became an issue and the Department of Public Works were called in to assist as well.

“We would like to thank the many area residents who came out and provided hand and foot warmers or even their houses in order for first responders to get warm. We also want to acknowledge the Lakeland Emergency Squad for providing their rehab services which included a warm-up area along with food and beverages for the many personnel who responded to the scene,” police said.

For more Northwest Jersey’s News, tune into 92.7FM, 104.7FM, 1510AM, wrnj.com or on the TuneIn app.

By: Jay Edwards Follow on Twitter | Like on Facebook

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Photo Courtesy: Andover Township Police Department)