MORRIS COUNTY, NJ – Road-paving projects on sections of Randolph Road in Mine Hill, Changebridge Road in Montville and East Main Street in Rockaway Borough will start next week, with motorists advised to anticipate possible brief traffic delays over the next couple of weeks.
In addition, work is continuing on a 1.4-mile section of Powerville Road in Boonton and Boonton Township, with that project expected to wrap up in the next week.
The paving work is part of the Morris County Board of Freeholders’ comprehensive plan that aggressively targets road infrastructure, with more than 30 miles of roads across 24 municipalities scheduled for paving this year at cost of $9 million (including state and county dollars).
Delays in obtaining state approvals for the paving work pushed back the county’s expected late spring and early summer paving schedule, as efforts are being made now to award bid contracts and expedite the work.
To see the complete list of scheduled 2018 county paving projects, visit: transportation.morriscountynj.gov/2018-county-road-paving-projects/
The county work is in addition to local and state road-improvement projects.
“We are going to do our best to get as many of our planned 2018 projects done, and done properly, before the cold weather sets in later in the fall,’’ said Freeholder John Cesaro. “If any projects are delayed this year, they would be prioritized for paving in early 2019.’’
Paving projects in 2018 are scheduled on county roadslocated in Butler, Chatham Borough, Dover, Florham Park, Hanover, Jefferson, Kinnelon,Lincoln Park, and Madison. Also, for Mendham Township, Mine Hill, Montville, Morris Township, Morristown, Netcong, Parsippany, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, Roxbury, Washington Township, and Wharton.
Road closures and detours will be signed and coordinated with the local police departments for all of the projects. Bicyclists are urged to seek other routes during this construction period
- Court Street, Morristown: The 0.1 mile project in the heart of the state courts and county government district should conclude in the next two weeks. The project has been slowed by delays in required utility work. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $504,372. The contractor will schedule a four-day full closure of Court Street (including a weekend) to mill, pave and re-stripe the street.
- Powerville Road, Boonton and Boonton Twp.:The 1.4-mile project runs from West Main Street in Boonton to Valley Road in Boonton Township. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $423,043. Work is being done from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Motorists should expect traffic delays. The project should conclude next week.
- Randolph Avenue, Mine Hill:The 0.9-mile project will run from Route 46 to Randolph Avenue.Work is scheduled to start on Thursday, Sept.13, or as near as possible.A. Alexander of Bloomfield will be the contractor, with a bid price of $347,689. The project will include storm basin, milling, paving, ADA ramps, guide rails, and striping. Work should occur from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours. Police in neighboring Wharton say a full road closure may occur at some point.
- Changebridge Road, Montville:There are three segments to the 0.9-mile project: from MacCulloch Drive to Olympia Court; from Passaic Valley Road to .45 miles south; and from Bloomfield Ave to Route 46.Work is scheduled to start on Monday, Sept.10.Schifano Construction of Middlesex will be the contractor, with a bid price of $405,136. The project will include storm basin, milling, paving, guide rails, and striping. Work hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours. Work is scheduled to be completed 20 days from the start date.
- East Main Street, Rockaway Borough:The 1.0-mile project will run from Wall Street to Route 46.Concrete work will start on Monday, Sept.10,with milling and paving to start Sept. 17. Schifano Construction of Middlesex will be the contractor, with a bid price of $602,801. The project will include storm basin, ADA ramps, milling, paving, guide rails, and striping. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours.
- Blackwell Street, Dover: The 0.7-mile project will run from Warren Street to Salem Street. Work has been delayed until early fall. AJM Contractors of Clifton will be the contractor. The bid price is $439,065. The project includes storm basin work, milling, paving, ADA ramps, guide rails, and striping. Work is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. One lane of traffic will remain open but motorists should expect traffic delays.
- Highview Avenue, Hanover Twp.:The 0.2-mile project will run to East Hanover Avenue. Work is expected to start in late September. AJM Contractors of Clifton will be the contractor. The bid price is $124,359. The project includes storm basin work, milling, paving, ADA ramps, and striping. Work is expected to occur from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Local residents should expect delays.
- Parsippany, Gov. Chris Christie Drive:The road will open on Sept. 12.
- Morris Twp., Mendham Road: 5-miles from Indian Head Road to Kahdena Road.