News Department

Apartment fire caused by cooking oil igniting, Mount Olive police say

MOUNT OLIVE TOWNSHIP, NJ (Morris County) – Nobody was injured after a fire at an apartment complex Thursday morning in Mount Olive Township.

The apartment fire was reported on January 7, at 8:31 a.m., at Village Green Complex, building 2, police said.

Police arrived on scene and observed visible smoke and flames at an upstairs apartment. Officers responded and confirmed all the tenants and animals were evacuated, police said.

During the course of the investigation, it was determined that a resident put cooking oil in a pan on top of the stove and turned it on. The resident was alerted by a family member that the oil was on fire and then the resident tried to put the fire out with water, police said.

Budd Lake Fire Department was assisted by Schooley’s Mountain, Netcong, Hackettstown and Roxbury Fire Departments along with Atlantic and Long Valley EMS. Mount Olive Fire Marshall, Animal Control Officer, Building Inspector and the Department of Public Works assisted at the scene.

The American Red Cross responded to assist displaced residents.

There were no reported injuries, police said.

https://twitter.com/JayEdwardsWrnj/status/1347182207866204160

Jay Edwards

Born and raised in Northwest NJ, Jay has a degree in Communications and has had a life-long interest in local radio and various styles of music. Jay has held numerous jobs over the years such as stunt car driver, bartender, voice-over artist, traffic reporter (award winning), NY Yankee maintenance crewmember and peanut farm worker. His hobbies include mountain climbing, snowmobiling, cooking, performing stand-up comedy and he is an avid squirrel watcher. Jay has been a guest on America’s Morning Headquarters,program on The Weather Channel, and was interviewed by Sam Champion.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button