NEW JERSEY – In a year like no other, Atlantic Health System has overcome unprecedented challenges to deliver innovative, high-quality care while maintaining an award-winning workplace. For the 13th consecutive year, the integrated care delivery system has once again been named to Great Place to Work® and Fortune’s list of the “100 Best Companies to Work For®,” ranking number 67.
“Our promise is to provide the highest quality care to all who enter our system,” said Brian Gragnolati, President and CEO of Atlantic Health System. “We do this in large part by designing a workplace that ensures that – even during a global pandemic – our 17,000 caregivers work collaboratively in a culture of respect, support and appreciation. Thanks to our remarkable team, we remained resilient and ready to care for our community through one of the most challenging years in health care.”
“Another amazing year of recognition by Fortune truly tells the story of our unparalleled commitment to our team, the greatest workforce in health care,” said Nikki Sumpter, Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, Atlantic Health System. “Building a culture of trust, where everyone feels seen, heard and empowered – that’s the supportive, inspiring environment we’re working hard to create for our patients and health care heroes.”
Driven by innovation and celebration, Atlantic Health team members enjoy sharing in each other’s successes across the system’s 400 sites of care, including Morristown Medical Center, Overlook Medical Center, Chilton Medical Center, Newton Medical Center, Hackettstown Medical Center, Goryeb Children’s Hospital, Atlantic Rehabilitation Institute, Atlantic Medical Group and one of the largest Accountable Care Organizations in the country.
“Congratulations to the 100 Best Companies to Work For. These companies stood out for heroic efforts to care for their employees, their customers and our society, in a difficult year,” said Michael C. Bush, CEO of Great Place to Work. “Remarkably, our research found that employee experience scores rose at these workplaces overall last year – a testament to the resilience of their inclusive, high-trust cultures.”
The only New Jersey-based health care company on Fortune’s list, Atlantic Health System appears alongside many of the nation’s most successful organizations, such as Hilton, American Express and Wegmans. The entire Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list can be viewed here.
Throughout the pandemic, Atlantic Health System created new programs and expanded existing opportunities to support and celebrate team members:
- AHS Team Member Support Hotline: Skilled mental health professionals from the Atlantic Behavioral Health team stepped in to answer calls from fellow team members, helping caregivers manage anxiety and stress during the pandemic with support, referrals and resources.
- Atlantic Health Crisis Care Program: Team members with impacted dependent care arrangements were provided reimbursement for back-up care options that far surpassed the system’s traditional back-up program. While team members typically use this service 12 times per year, during the pandemic, Atlantic Health more than tripled days of coverage, translating to more than $5 million in reimbursable expenses for 41,000+ days of care for team members and dependents.
- Heightened Engagement: We continuously looked for new ways to express our awe and appreciation throughout the year:
- Inaugural Turkey Toss – gifting team members with their choice of a turkey, ham, fruit basket or Thanksgiving pie.
- Expanded PTO – Enabling team to cash out, donate time to colleagues, roll funds to retirement savings, and roll time to 2021.
- Caregiver Awards – monetary gifts to thank physicians and caregivers in an extraordinary year.
- Weekly Live/Recorded Streaming Support – Atlantic Health Spiritual Care chaplains, educators and trained professionals connected virtually with team through Workplace by Facebook.