NEW JERSEY – Atlantic Health System medical centers are leaders in New Jersey and across the nation when it comes to delivering high quality care and superior patient outcomes across numerous specialties according to the Healthgrades 2024 Report to the Nation, released today.
Morristown Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to achieve all of the following recognitions in this year’s report: America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care, America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention, Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ and Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award™ in 2024.
Overlook Medical Center is the only hospital in NJ and one of only 15 nationwide to receive all of the following recognitions in this year’s report: Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™, Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™, Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award™, Critical Care Excellence Award™, Stroke Care Excellence Award™, Neurosurgery Excellence Award™, and Neurosciences Excellence Award™.
These honors are given by Healthgrades annually to help patients in their decision making when it comes to selecting a specialist or hospital for their care. Healthgrades uses Medicare data to analyze a hospital’s quality on common inpatient clinical procedures and conditions and recognizes top-performing hospitals.
“Atlantic Health System is honored to bring nationally ranked, highest-quality care to the patients and citizens of New Jersey,” said Suja Mathew, MD, Executive Vice President, Chief Clinical Officer, Atlantic Health System. “Healthgrades recognitions underscore our continued commitment to provide our communities patient-centered, extraordinary care in our medical centers. Our relentless focus is the health and wellbeing of our patients. When they need hospital-level care, they can trust to receive the very best at Atlantic Health System.”
Reflecting its continued pursuit of clinical excellence, this year Morristown Medical Center is named one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for both Cardiac Care and Coronary Intervention. Additionally, Morristown achieved the Healthgrades specialty Excellence Award for Gastrointestinal Care for the sixth consecutive year (2019-2024) and Gastrointestinal Surgery for the second consecutive year (2023-2024).
Healthgrades also recognized Morristown’s cardiovascular program by newly naming it among the top five percent in the nation for:
- Overall Cardiac Services
- Cardiology Services
- Coronary Interventional Procedures
Overlook Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to be named One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care for 11 years in a row (2014-2024) and Gastrointestinal Surgery for eight years in a row (2017-2024).
In addition, Overlook Medical Center was named one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for:
- Critical Care for nine years in a row (2016-2024), the longest consecutive years for any hospital in New Jersey or New York to receive this award
- Gastrointestinal Care for five years in a row (2020-2024)
New this year, Healthgrades named Overlook among the top five percent in the nation for Cardiology Services.
Since 2019, Healthgrades has recognized Overlook Medical Center among the top five percent of hospitals in the U.S. for excellence in the Treatment of Stroke, Cranial Neurosurgery and Neurosciences more consecutive years (2019-2024) than any other hospital in New Jersey or New York.
Overlook Medical Center was also one of only five hospitals in New Jersey to achieve all three Healthgrades Neurosciences specialty excellence awards in 2024: Cranial Neurosurgery, Stroke Care, and Neurosciences. In addition, Overlook is the only hospital in New Jersey to achieve both the Healthgrades Gastrointestinal Care and Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Awards for eight years in a row (2017-2024).
In addition, Overlook is the recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for seven years in a row (2018-2024) and the Healthgrades Critical Care Excellence Award™ for 9 Years in a Row (2016-2024).
Healthgrades also awarded Atlantic Health System’s Newton, Chilton and Hackettstown medical centers for high-quality treatment for several medical conditions and procedures:
- Newton Medical Center is one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care and for Critical Care in 2024. For the third consecutive year, Newton also earned the Healthgrades Excellence Award for those same services.
- Newton was also named among the top five percent in the nation for Overall Pulmonary Services and top 10% in the nation for GI Medical Treatment.
- Newton newly achieved Five-Star ratings for Treatment of Stroke and Treatment of GI Bleed. Additional Five-Star ratings include:
- Treatment of Sepsis for 14 years in a row (2011-2024)
- Treatment of Respiratory Failure for 10 years in a row (2015-2024)
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for four consecutive years (2021-2024)
- Treatment of Pneumonia for 3 years in a row (2022-2024)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries for two years in a row (2023-2024)
- Chilton Medical Center was named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ in Critical Care for the second year in a row (2023-2024). Chilton also earned the 2024 Critical Care Excellence Award for the third year in a row (2022-2024) and was named among the top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care for the second year in a row.
- Additionally, Chilton earned Five-Star ratings (“better than expected” patient outcomes) for the treatment of:
- Heart Failure for two years in a row (2023-2024)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for two years in a row (2023-2024)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries
- Sepsis for five years in a row (2020-2024)
- Hackettstown Medical Center achieved Five-Star ratings for the treatment of four conditions:
- Sepsis for five years in a row (2020-2024)
- Heart Failure for four years in a row (2021-2024)
- Heart Attack for two years in a row (2023-2024)
- Respiratory Failure
“Healthgrades congratulates Atlantic Health for being a national leader and demonstrating a deep commitment to providing high quality care to all patients,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science at Healthgrades. “Your dedication, expertise, and tireless efforts have not only set you apart but have also positively impacted the lives of countless patients.”