LOPATCONG TOWNSHIP, NJ (Warren County) – Lopatcong Township Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying suspect(s) wanted for multiple car break-ins that occurred in the early morning hours on Wednesday, May 4.
Police are asking residents in the Country Hills Development to check their surveillance cameras for suspicious activity on Wednesday morning between the hours of 1:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m.
Anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity or has video, is asked to contact the Lopatcong Township Police Department at 908-859-1212.
What are the best practices to prevent vehicle break-ins? Police offer these tips and tricks to keep thieves out:
- Keep your car visible. Park in a well-lit area and avoid parking next to something that could hide your vehicle (i.e. fences, buildings, or large vehicles).
- Keep your windows and sunroofs closed. Make sure your doors are locked. Almost a quarter of thefts occur when vehicle doors are unlocked.
- Activate and use your vehicle’s alarm. If your vehicle does not have an alarm, have one installed by a professional.
- Many vehicles are broken into with the intent of stealing the vehicle itself. Visible anti-theft devices, like steering wheel locks, steering column collars, or brake pedal locks may discourage the would-be thief.
- If you do leave valuables in your vehicle, keep them out of sight. Items such as shopping bags, iPads, purses, wallets, and backpacks are appealing to thieves.
- Take your keys with you and do not leave a spare key hidden. Even though you might think under the floor mat is a great place to hide a spare, a thief will too.
- Do not ever leave a firearm in your vehicle. Be a responsible gun owner and do not leave it to chance.
- Add a GPS tracking device to your vehicle. If the unthinkable happens, this tool will help locate your stolen vehicle.