Centenary University honors 19 students at annual Student Leadership Awards Ceremony
Outdoor event recognized contributions to the University and service to the local community
HACKETTSTOWN, NJ (Warren County) – Centenary University recently recognized 19 students, as well as an advisor and the University’s competitive business team, at the annual Student Leadership Awards Ceremony.
The ceremony, which was conducted recently via a series of smaller events, celebrated outstanding contributions to the University and surrounding communities.
“This year’s honorees demonstrated persistence and creativity in finding ways to make an impact on others, despite the pandemic,” Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students Kerry Mullins said. “Through a mix of in-person and virtual events, our students have made a difference in the lives of others, here on campus and in our local community. Their commitment to service demonstrates that Centenary University is truly the heart of the Skylands Region.”
During the current academic year, a new program called Centenary Choice permitted students to attend courses and participate in extracurricular activities in person on campus, online, or in a HyFlex format combining the two. This flexibility led to a greater number of students opting to take part in service opportunities, according to Rachel Danitz, community engagement coordinator, who was recognized at the awards ceremony as Advisor of the Year.
Enactus, the University’s competitive business team, was honored with the Making a Difference in Community Engagement Award for their efforts to assist local firms to pivot and adjust to the shifting marketplace during the pandemic.
Individual student award recipients are:
- Merchantville—Elizabeth Brouse, The Beacon for the Region Award
- Irvington—Tyrese Fraser, Catapano Family Community Service Award
- Irvington—Darnel Burnette, The Douglas Wolfe Turrell Community Service Award
- Irvington—Jefferson Jean-Paul, Seay Honors
- Jersey City—Anastasia Miranda, Greek Leadership Award
- Hamilton—Christopher LaBelle, Culture and Community Award
- Randolph Township—Brittany Bradley, The Robert Trevorrow Award
- Passaic—Carmen Escano, Lotte Honors
- Byram Township—Morgan Pierson, The Dr. Charles Frederickson Award
- Stanhope—Christina May, Commitment of Justice
- Great Meadows—Pier Semanchik, The Eugene A. Noble Award
- Hackettstown—Sara Schaarschmidt, Commuter of the Year
- Hackettstown—Samantha Johnson, Centenary Spirit Award
- Hardwick Township—Brooke Costanzo, Remote Student of the Year
- Stewartsville—Daniel Mattie, President of the Year
- Washington—Sean Graham, The Rev. Dr. Jonathan Meeker Award
- Wolfeboro—Emma Kerr, The Judith Deacon Tartaglia Memorial Award
- Silver Spring—Michael Young, The Everett Johnson Award
- Fukuoka-Shi—Keiji Ippoushi, International Student of the Year