HACKETTSTOWN, NJ (Warren County) – Centenary University is proud to announce and congratulate this year’s Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association (IHSA) and Intercollegiate Equestrian Foundation’s (IEF) award winners. Thirty-five students, the largest number in the University’s history, received academic awards and/or scholarships based on their ability to excel in the classroom and in the show ring as equestrians.
Academic awards were presented to those who earned a 3.5 grade point average (GPA) or above throughout the academic year, and scholarships were awarded to those who met eligibility requirements, excelled in horsemanship and in the classroom and demonstrated financial need.
Senior Athletic Academic Achievement Awards were presented to IHSA members with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher who have been members of the intercollegiate equestrian team for three years, including their senior year. Centenary University winners include: Meghan Frederick, ’20 (Dalton, MA); Megan Marino,’20 (Delhi, NY); Caroline Houston, ’20 (Glastonbury, CT); Emily Valerio,’20 (Lexington, NY).
The First Team All-Academic Awardswere presented to IHSA members who excelled academically throughout the year with a cumulative 3.8 GPA or higher. Centenary University winners include:
- Kylie Dailey,’23 (Torrington, CT)
- Olivia Erikson,’22 (Bernardsville, NJ)
- Meghan Frederick, ’20 (Dalton, MA)
- Tazmyn Geere, ’22 (Henderson, NV)
- Caroline Houston,’20 (Glastonbury, CT)
- Ashley Joyce, ’23 (Concord Township, OH)
- Payton Lawrence,’22 (Guildford, VT)
- Nina Leeds,’20 (Dallas, PA)
- Jamie Mirra,’23(Springfield, VT)
- Madison Myro,’22 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Isabella Nye,’20 (Douglassville, PA)
- Sophia Strain,’22 (Agawam, MA)
- Taylor Therrien,’22 (Haddam, CT)
- Sydney Waltenberg-O’Brien,’22 (Middletown, NY)
- Lena Wanio, ’21 (Clifton, NJ).
The Second Team All-Academic Awards were presented to IHSA members who excelled academically throughout the year with a cumulative 3.5 GPA or higher. Centenary University winners include:
- Hana Aksterowicz, ’21 (East Lyme, CT)
- Phoebe Boughrum, ’21 (Rumson, NJ)
- Alexander Collins, ’21 (Long Valley, NJ)
- Kimberly Cooper, ’21 (South Brunswick, NJ)
- Christen Crowley, ’23 (Baiting Hollow, NY)
- Emily Foreshee, ’23 (Cazenovia, NY)
- Sierra Haines, ’23 (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
- Ashlee Hurley, ’22 (Tampa, FL)
- Baily Jacquier, ’21 (Canaan, CT)
- Hannah Kent, ’23 (Marlton, NJ)
- Kate Pizzini, ’22 (Alexandria, VA)
- Mara Purnel, ’21 (Palm Springs, CA)
- Angelo Rocchio, ’20 (Queens, NY)
- Kayla Thau, ’21 (Bound Brook, NJ)
- Emily Valerio, ’20 (Lexington, NY)
- Maria van Heusen,’23 (San Jose, CA).
The Intercollegiate Equestrian Foundation, Inc promotes activities and competition through the awarding of scholarships and grants. Scholarships were awarded to undergraduate students who have competed in intercollegiate equestrian activities and are based on academic achievement, equestrian sport achievement, community service, and financial need. Centenary University winner include: Tanner Pfeffer,’22 (Pataskala, OH).
The Teresa McDonald Scholarship Challenge is comprised of a written test and a practicum held at the IHSA National Championships. Due to this year’s unique situation, the awards were presented to the members with the highest written test scores. Centenary University winner include: Payton Lawrence ’22 (Guildford, VT).
These achievements come despite the cancellation of regionals, zones, and nationals because of the current COVID-19 pandemic. The winners will be recognized virtually at Centenary’s Equine Award Ceremony on May 4 at 7:00 p.m.