SUSSEX COUNTY, NJ – The Sussex County Board of County Commissioners, the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Senior Services, and the Sussex County Veterans Committee celebrates its veterans each year at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in November.
This year marks the 22nd Anniversary of the Salute to Military Veterans Parade. This is a significant event that honors the sacrifices and contributions of our military veterans.
Each year a patriotic pin design contest is held and the winning design is made into a pin. These pins are given to all veterans at this event. Sussex County students in Grades 6, 7 and 8 are encouraged to submit a pin design expressing their support and appreciation to the veterans of Sussex County, while gaining an understanding and knowledge of what the veterans have contributed and sacrificed. Entries from students who are home schooled will also be accepted.
The rules and/or requirements for the contest are as follows:
- Students in Grades 6, 7 and 8 are encouraged to submit a pin design. The actual pin size will be one inch by one inch (drawing for the design can be larger to show details). All designs must be hand drawn. Computer images will not be accepted.
- The pin design must include the words “Sussex County” and the year 2022.
- The pin design must be submitted no later than June 20, 2022. This is a firm date.
- The pin design must be forwarded to the Sussex County Division of Senior Services, One Spring Street, Newton, NJ 07860. The following information must be submitted with each design entry:
● School name
● Student’s name, address, and phone number (parents will be personally contacted by the pin design chairperson)
● School point of contact – name and phone number
- All entries will be reviewed and judged by members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. One contest winner will be selected. Student and school information will not be provided to the judges in order to ensure fairness.
- The winner will be asked to be present at the Sussex County Salute to Military Veterans Parade which will be held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds, Plains Road, Frankford, NJ on Sunday, November 6, 2022. The winner will receive a cash award.
- The winner, their parents, and the school will be contacted by the contest chairperson when a decision is rendered.
Additional information and questions can be directed to the Sussex County Division of Senior Services at 973-579-0555, ext. 1277 or firstname.lastname@example.org.