FEMA registration deadline approaching Jan. 5 for New Jersey Ida disaster assistance
NEW JERSEY – New Jersey homeowners, renters and businesses who had property damage or loss caused by remnants of Hurricane Ida from Sept. 1-3, 2021, have until Wednesday to apply for federal disaster assistance.
The deadline to apply for assistance from FEMA and for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is Jan. 5, 2022.
Federal disaster assistance for individuals and families can include money for rental assistance, essential home repairs, personal property losses, and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.
If you live in Bergen, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Union or Warren counties, you can register for disaster assistance, update your contact information, ask questions about a letter from FEMA, get information about FEMA home inspections, or learn how to appeal a FEMA decision by:
- Going online at DisasterAssistance.gov;
- Downloading the FEMA app; or
- Calling 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines are currently operating 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. ET daily. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service. Multilingual operators are available.
You should have the following information available when you are ready to register:
- Address of the damaged primary dwelling
- Current mailing address, telephone number and Social Security number
- Your insurance information
- Total household annual income
- Routing and account numbers for checking or savings accounts for direct deposit; and
- A description of disaster damage and losses.
The primary source of federal funding for long-term disaster recovery not covered by insurance is the Small Business Administration. SBA offers disaster assistance in the form of low interest loans to businesses, nonprofit organizations, homeowners, and renters. SBA also provides eligible small businesses and nonprofit organizations with working capital to help overcome an economic injury.
Homeowners, renters and businesses that were affected by Hurricane Ida may apply for disaster loans using SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/ela/s/, and should apply under SBA declaration #17143. For more information, applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing), or email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov.