NEW JERSEY – Governor Phil Murphy signed Executive Order No. 194, which includes new COVID-19 mitigation measures. The measures include restrictions on seating and hours for restaurants, bars, clubs, and lounges, and prohibition of interstate indoor K-12 and youth sports.
“As cases of COVID-19 increase across the country and in our state, we must take all measures necessary to stop the spread,” Murphy said. “In the interest of public health, we are requiring modifications in operations for businesses that serve food and drinks, and temporarily prohibiting interstate games and tournaments for indoor K-12 sports. We must come together as a state to once again beat back this deadly virus and to save lives.”
The measures include:
Restrictions on Hours for Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Lounges, and Casinos:
- Restaurants, bars, clubs, lounges, and other businesses that serve food or drinks will not be able to operate their indoor premises between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. Outdoor dining can continue after 10:00 p.m., as can takeout and delivery services.
- Casinos will not be able to serve food or drinks between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with the exception of room service delivered to guest rooms and takeout. Other casino operations would be unaffected.
Restrictions on Bar Seating, Increased Flexibility for Restaurants:
- Seating at the physical bar in the indoor areas of bars and restaurants will be prohibited during all operating hours.
- Due to the impact this may have on restaurants with small seating areas, restaurants will be allowed to have groups at tables indoors that are closer than six feet together, if they are separated by barriers that comply with guidance from the Department of Health.
- Restaurants will be allowed to set up plastic domes outdoors, limited to one group each, as additional outdoor dining space.
Restrictions on Interstate Indoor Sports Competitions:
- All interstate games and tournaments involving indoor sports, up to and including the high school level, will be prohibited.
- Collegiate and professional sports will be unaffected.
The measures will take effect on Thursday, November 12, at 5:00 a.m.