HACKETTSTOWN, NJ (Warren County) – The Hackettstown Police Department is seeking to hire two Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer for an approximate 40-hour work week in accordance with the Hackettstown School District’s school calendar, according to police.
The starting salary shall be $35 per hour while school is in session. Anticipated start date will be in September for the 2023-2024 school year, police said.
“Under supervision of the Chief of Police and/or his designee, the individuals will work in a school environment with children and staff in a professional and positive manner. Also responds to law enforcement, fire, medical, or other emergencies; said individuals will also perform related duties as required by the department, consistent with the law,” police said.
- Applicant must be a retired law enforcement officer who is less than 65 years of age, was separated from that prior service in good standing, within three years of appointment (excludes a retirement resulting from injury or incapacity) and possesses a New Jersey Police Training Commission Basic Police Officer Certification or New Jersey State Police Academy Certification; and
- Applicant must be a resident of the State of New Jersey and possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License during the term of appointment; and
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or its equivalent and be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently; and
- Applicant must be sound in body, good health and of good moral character, who has not been convicted of any offense involving dishonesty or which would make the applicant unfit to perform the duties of the position; and
- Applicant must be physically capable of performing the functions of the position, determined in accordance with Police Training Commission guidelines.
- Applicant must undergo a background investigation including psychological testing, drug screening and medical evaluation.
- Applicant must provide a letter of good standing from the Chief of Police/Officer in Command of the agency they retired from, including their dates of employment, type of retirement and good standing status; and
- Appointees to SLEO CLASS III must successfully complete training and obtain certification by the Police Training Commission in the Department of Law and Public Safety as required by NJSA 40A:14-146.10 et seq, and will be required to complete the training course for Safe Schools Resource Officers; and
- Appointees to SLEO CLASS III will be armed. Appointees must be capable of and legally authorized to possess and carry a department issued firearm.
A Class III special law enforcement officer appointed pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1985, c.439 (C.40A:14-146.8 et seq.) shall not, based on this appointment, be eligible for health care benefits or enrollment in any State-administered retirement system, and will be hired in a part-time capacity per statute (40 hours per week following school calendar).
Interested candidates are instructed to submit a letter of interest and resume to Lt. Darren Tynan, 215 West Stiger Street Hackettstown, NJ 07840 no later than July 24, 2023. For more information call Lt. Tynan at 908-852-3302 or email email@example.com.