NEW JERSEY – All five Atlantic Health System medical centers were honored for delivering high-quality care and superior outcomes across multiple specialties in the Healthgrades 2022 Report to the Nation, released Tuesday.
Among the national and regional recognitions, Morristown Medical Center became the only hospital in the nation to achieve 2022 Specialty Excellence awards in each of the following service lines: Cardiac Care, Stroke Care, GI Care, Critical Care, Bariatrics Surgery, Vascular Surgery, and 2021 Women’s Care awards for Labor and Delivery services and GYN Surgery.
The Healthgrades 2022 Report uses Medicare and other data to analyze a hospital’s quality and safety metrics in common inpatient clinical procedures and conditions and recognizes top-performing hospitals.
Morristown Medical Center continued its annual leadership position as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ – among the top five percent of hospitals in the nation – in these specialty care areas:
- Cardiac Care for 11 years in a row (2012-2022)
- Critical Care for three consecutive years (2020-2022)
New this year, Morristown Medical Center was also named one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Vascular Surgery™ and a recipient of the Healthgrades 2022 Stroke Care Excellence Award™.
Additionally, Morristown Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to achieve the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award for 13 years in a row and one of only four hospitals in New Jersey to achieve the Overall Surgical Care Excellence Award.
In addition, Overlook Medical Center was named one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for:
- Spine Surgery (2022)
- Critical Care for seven years in a row (2016-2022)
- Gastrointestinal Surgery for six years in a row (2017-2022)
- Gastrointestinal Care for three years in a row (2020-2022)
Since 2017, Healthgrades has recognized Overlook Medical Center among the top five percent of hospitals in the U.S. for excellence in the Treatment of Stroke, Cranial Neurosurgery and Neurosciences more times than any other hospital in New Jersey or New York.
Overlook Medical Center was also one of only two hospitals in New Jersey to achieve all three Healthgrades Neurosciences specialty excellence awards in 2022: Cranial Neurosurgery, Stroke Care, and Neurosciences. In addition, Overlook is the only hospital in New Jersey to achieve both the Healthgrades Gastrointestinal (GI) Care and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery Excellence Awards for 6 years in a row (2017-2022).
This year, Overlook also achieved the 2022 Spine Surgery Excellence Award.
In addition, Overlook is the recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 5 Years in a Row (2018-2022). Overlook has also now achieved Excellence Awards in the following service lines:
- Bariatric Surgery for six years in a row (2017-2022)
- Critical Care for seven years in a row (2016-2022)
- Gastrointestinal Care and Gastrointestinal Surgery, each for six years in a row (2017-2022)
Healthgrades also awarded Atlantic Health System’s Newton, Chilton and Hackettstown medical centers for high-quality treatment for a number of medical conditions:
- Newton Medical Center was recognized for both Critical and Pulmonary Care, receiving the 2022 Excellence Care AwardTM and placing it among the top 10% in the nation for both service lines.
- Newton Medical Center also achieved Five-star ratings for Treatment of Heart Failure for 12 Years in a Row (2011-2022), and Treatment of Heart Attack for the third consecutive year. The hospital was awarded additional Five-star ratings for the Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Pneumonia, Bowel Obstruction, Sepsis, Respiratory Failure, Stroke and Diabetic Emergencies in 2022.
- Chilton Medical Center achieved Five-star ratings for the Treatment of Prostate Removal Surgery, Treatment of Sepsis, and Bariatric Surgery in 2022. Chilton is also the Recipient of the 2022 Critical Care Excellence AwardTM and named among the top 10% in the Nation for Critical Care.
- Hackettstown Medical Center achieved Five-star ratings for the Treatment of Heart Failure (2 years in a row), Sepsis (3 years in a row) and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in 2022.
“Atlantic Health System is dedicated to providing high-quality, innovative and personalized health care,” said Douglas Arbittier, MD, Vice President, Service Lines, Atlantic Health System. “Today’s outstanding list of recognitions from Healthgrades shows that no matter what type of care they need, patients can count on our amazing team of doctors, nurses and caregivers to provide extraordinary care. Congratulations to all of our clinical and service line leaders and their teams for this accomplishment.”
“We want to provide information to make finding a healthcare specialist an easier experience for consumers. Patients can feel confident knowing that hospitals that are recognized for their performance in these clinical specialties provide high-quality care and superior outcomes,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science, Healthgrades.
The Healthgrades analysis shows that patients treated at hospitals receiving a 5-star rating (“better-than-expected outcomes”) have a lower risk of dying and a lower risk of experiencing one or more complications during a hospital stay compared to treatment at hospitals receiving a 1-star rating (“worse-than-expected outcomes”) in that procedure or condition. From 2018 through 2020, if all hospitals as a group performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average, 218,141 lives could potentially have been saved, and complications in 156,050 patients could potentially have been avoided.
To view the complete methodology, visit www.healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology.