WHARTON, NJ (Morris County) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced lane and ramp closures on I-80 eastbound and westbound beginning Friday morning for priority bridge repairs in Wharton, Morris County.
Beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, April 10, NJDOT’s contractor, I.E.W. Construction Group, is scheduled to close three lanes on I-80 eastbound near Exit 34 in Wharton, for priority repairs to the bridge header and deck joints. One lane of traffic will be maintained during this closure. The Exit 34 ramp to North Main Street/CR 634 also will be closed. The following signed detour is expected to remain in place throughout the day:
I-80 eastbound Exit 34 to North Main Street/CR 634 detour:
• Motorists wishing to take the I-80 eastbound Exit 34 to North Main Street/CR 634 will be directed to continue on I-80 eastbound
• Take Exit 35 towards Mount Hope/Dover
• Keep right at the fork to merge on to Mount Hope Avenue/CR 661
• Turn right on to Mount Pleasant Avenue
• Turn right on to Route 15/West Union Turnpike
• Use the left lane to turn on to East Dewey Avenue back to North Main Street/CR 634
Following the completion of work on I-80 eastbound, two lanes on I-80 westbound are scheduled to be closed. One lane of traffic will be maintained during this closure. The ramp from Route 15 eastbound to I-80 westbound will be maintained with a stop sign in the acceleration lane.
By 6:00 a.m., Saturday, April 11, Exit 34 and all lanes on I-80 are scheduled to be reopened. If work is completed early, the road will reopen sooner. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website 511nj.org for real-time travel information