Morris County protects its 138th farm under preservation program
MENDHAM BOROUGH, NJ (Morris County) – The Morris County Agriculture Development Board announced that it permanently preserved a farm located in Mendham Borough owned by Charles Rowe, the 138th farm preserved under the Morris County Open Space, Farmland, Floodplain Protection and Historic Preservation Trust Fund.
Through a purchase agreement, the land is restricted from non-agricultural uses, which permanently preserves the 6.5-acre farm. It is the second farm preserved in Mendham Borough through the program.
The farm, located on East Main Street, has been operating since 1952 and the grazing sheep kept there are a familiar sight to motorists who regularly drive through the downtown section of the borough. The farmer grows vegetables as well as raises sheep.
The Morris County Open Space, Farmland, Floodplain Protection and Historic Preservation Trust Fund provided 100 percent of the $817,889.86 acquisition price.
In contrast to open space preservation, the landowner retains ownership of the property and may even choose to sell it, but with a deed restriction ensuring that the land will not undergo non-farm development. Agricultural development of the farm is permitted and the type of farming activity may change in the future.
The preservation, approved last month, brings the total area of preserved farmland in the county to 8,072 acres or the equivalent of 12 square miles, which is approximately the area of Long Hill Township, the 15th largest municipality in the County.