Mount Olive Twp. hotel manager charged with reckless endangerment
MOUNT OLIVE TOWNSHIP, NJ (Morris County) – A Budd Lake hotel manger was charged after police said he failed to contact the police department and fire department when the alarms were activated.
On January 2, at 12;13 a.m., police responded to the Days Inn, located at 138 Route 46, for the report of multiple fire and carbon monoxide alarms going off within the hotel over the course of several hours, police said.
The caller advised police that the alarms had been going off, but residents were advised by management that the alarm batteries were being changed, and there was no issue within the building, police said.
The Budd Lake Fire Department responded and discovered elevated carbon monoxide levels coming from the third floor of the hotel, police said.
Budd Lake Fire Department with the assistance of Flanders Fire Department evacuated the building. Multiple EMS agencies responded to assist, and one motel guest was transported to Hackettstown Medical Center for evaluation, police said.
The Mount Olive Township Police Investigations Division responded and at the conclusion of the investigation it was determined that Kushalkum R. Patel, 33, of Budd Lake, the manager of the motel, had placed the guests in imminent danger by failing to contact the police department and fire department when the alarms were activated, police said.
Patel was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment He was released pending a court appearance, police said.