NEW JERSEY – The New Jersey Council of County Colleges (NJCCC) honored 37 students from the state’s 18 Community Colleges for being named to the 2023 New Jersey All-State Academic Team for their outstanding academic achievements and exceptional service to their communities and colleges as members of Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for Community Colleges.
The New Jersey Community College Scholars Celebration was held Thursday at the New Jersey State Museum in Trenton.
“These exceptional students utilized the many opportunities that New Jersey’s Community Colleges have to offer and succeeded brilliantly. We applaud the New Jersey All-State Academic Team members for their academic excellence, hard-work, and perseverance to rise to the top of their class. Their tenacity and incredible work ethic serve as an inspiration to all,” said NJCCC President Aaron R. Fichtner, Ph.D.
“These students have thrived on and off campus as community leaders to reach this high level of achievement,” said NJCCC Chair Mary Zimmermann. “They exemplify all the good that comes from a New Jersey Community College education, and we could not be prouder.”
The 2023 New Jersey All-State Academic Team members are:
- Atlantic Cape Community College: Alexis Cabrera (Mays Landing) and Harper Showalter (Marmora);
- Bergen Community College: Mana Mehdizadeh (Nutley) and Petar Petroski (Oradell);
- Brookdale Community College: Belinda Asamoah (New Brunswick) and Sara Hosbach (Freehold);
- Camden County College: Misturah Mustapha (Sicklerville);
- Essex County College: Elizabeth Bakare (East Orange) and Favour Ogbinaka (Newark);
- Hudson County Community College: Sally Elwir (Bloomfield) and Dina Thompson (Jersey City);
- Mercer County Community College: Sean Duigon (Mercerville) and Mykhaylo Yanchyk (New Egypt);
- Middlesex College: Ezra Goldfarb (Edison) and Dzulieta Ismaili-Jean (South Amboy);
- County College of Morris: Zachary Strickler (Mount Arlington) and Samantha Wrobel (Succasunna);
- Ocean County College: Brooke Doering (Toms River) and Cynthia Huggins (Brick);
- Passaic County Community College: Nicolette Carpenter (West Milford) and Carolina Ramos (Totowa);
- Raritan Valley Community College: Jennifer Barnickel (Flemington) and John Vargas, (North Plainfield);
- Rowan College at Burlington County: Michelle Sprenger (Shamong) and Emily Weiman (Westampton);
- Rowan College of South Jersey, Cumberland: Brandi Zerillo (Vineland) and Melissa Straub (Pittsgrove);
- Rowan College of South Jersey, Gloucester: Abrahim J. Kromah (Glassboro) and Megan Rinaldo (Millville)
- Salem Community College: Amy Chomo (Salem); and Emma Joyce (Woodstown);
- Sussex County Community College: Brookyln-Taylor Rubenacker (Sussex) and Tyler Yanagi (Stanhope);
- Union College of Union County, NJ: Mina Basaly (Elizabeth) and Carine Medellus (Roselle); and
- Warren County Community College: Sarah Sylverne (Phillipsburg) and Alyssa Zikas (Belvidere).