NEW JERSEY – The 2020 holiday season is in full swing, and this year, with unprecedented numbers of consumers turning to online shopping, we expect to see an increase in home deliveries during the next few weeks.
“Unfortunately, an increase of home deliveries will provide thieves more opportunities to steal packages. These thieves target neighborhoods, seeking to steal unattended packages delivered while you’re away or at work,” state police said.
New Jersey State Police offers these tips to avoid becoming a victim of package theft:
- Sign up for delivery alerts so you know when your delivery is scheduled and when the package has been delivered.
- If you’re not able to be home when a package will be delivered, ask a trusted neighbor to hold it for you.
- If possible, require a signature for all deliveries.
- Consider shipping packages to your place of work or use the ship to store option. Online marketplaces like Amazon also offer the option to ship to secure lockers.
- Be a good neighbor! If you see a package on your neighbor’s doorstep, reach out and ask if they would like you to hold it until they are home.
- If you have a home surveillance system, monitor it more closely when packages are scheduled to arrive.
- Keep in mind, these tips are useful not only during the holiday season, but throughout the year.
If you observe suspicious activity, report it to your local police or the State Police barracks that patrols your town.