NEW JERSEY – NJ TRANSIT is utilizing the month of June, designated as “National Safety Month by the National Safety Council, to launch an educational campaign for customers and employees.
This year’s theme is “Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow.” The month will feature tips and reminders to reinforce safety on and near the transit system throughout New Jersey. While the campaign will run during June, safety remains NJ TRANSIT’s top priority throughout the year.
“As more NJ TRANSIT customers return to the public transit system, we want to ensure they feel safe and comfortable in their surroundings,” said New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner and NJ TRANSIT Board Chair Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti. “Customers will see safety messaging at various stations, on social media, on the NJ TRANSIT mobile app and www.njtransit.com to remind them of safety protocols and the importance of remaining alert while using the system.”
“As ridership continues to grow, National Safety Month gives NJ TRANSIT the perfect opportunity to recommit ourselves to creating the safest possible travel environment for customers and employees, and to recognize our many safety-focused achievements over the past four years,” said NJ TRANSIT President & CEO Kevin S. Corbett. “Most recently, NJ TRANSIT received the American Public Transportation Association’s prestigious 2021 Bus Safety Gold Award and Rail Safety Certificate of Merit, both of which validate our steadfast commitment to safety as one of our agency’s core values.”
During June, NJ TRANSIT will be reinforcing safety strategies, informing and educating employees, customers, motorists and others of safety protocols and risky behaviors by providing safety tips that will be displayed publicly and at internal employee locations throughout the state.
New Jersey Transit Police Department officers, Office of System Safety employees and members of the Customer Experience team will be interacting with customers through various safety events to remind the public of the importance of safety protocols when at a transit station or using mass transit.
Following are some important safety tips to keep in mind:
Rail and Light Rail Safety:
- Never take a short cut on or across rail tracks.
- Only cross railroad tracks in clearly identified, designated areas where there are lights, signs and grade crossings.
- Look and listen! Never ignore active warnings at crossings or attempt to
- pass through when a gate is down
- Always stand behind the yellow safety line when waiting on the station platform.
- Do not lean on train doors and stand clear as the doors open and close.
- No running or playing on platforms or around tracks.
- Listen to train personnel and watch your steps when boarding and exiting a train.
- Use designated crosswalks and sidewalks to reach the bus stop.
- Never run after a bus; you may slip and fall or may be struck by another vehicle.
- Wait for the bus at designated stops and stand two to three feet from the curb.
- Hold handrails while boarding the bus.
- Stand behind the white line when the bus is in motion.
- Only exit or board bus after it has come to complete stop