KINNELON BOROUGH, NJ (Morris County) – The 4.5-mile stretch of Kinnelon Road between Route 23 and the Boonton Township border in Kinnelon Borough will get a much-anticipated improvement starting this week.
The work is expected to begin Wednesday, Sept. 23, and the project will be completed within four to six weeks.
“This has been identified as one of the most needed road projects in Morris County, and we’re certainly pleased to be getting it done this year. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve been able to keep up with an ambitious plan for infrastructure improvements throughout the county,” said Freeholder Deputy Director Stephen Shaw, the board’s public works liaison.
The county targeted nearly 40-miles of road paving and upgrades, and 17 county bridge replacement or rehabilitation projects in more than two dozen Morris County towns for 2020.
Financed with nearly $2 million in local aid funds from the New Jersey Department of Transportation, the Kinnelon Road project involves milling, paving, striping and posting new guardrails along the entire stretch of the roadway. The work will be conducted between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on most days, excluding weekends and holidays, and it will coincide with repaving work the township plans to conduct along Keel Road, which runs parallel to Kinnelon Road.
The Morris County Department of Engineering and Transportation, contractors, local police and township officials are coordinating the work to avoid causing any traffic problems and conflicts between the two projects.
Road improvement projects are in progress on several major county roads across Morris County, including:
- Denville Township: Resurfacing of River Road and Bush Road, from Diamond Spring Road to Old Boonton Road, 1.1 miles. Nearing completion;
- Florham Park: Columbia Turnpike, from James Street to the Essex County Line. 1.4 miles. Milling and paving beginning;
- Jefferson/Mt. Arlington: Howard Boulevard, from Oneida Ave to Espanong Road, 1.5 miles. Striping pending;
- Harding: Long Hill Road, from Pleasantville Road to the township border. 1.9 miles. Striping, Tree Removal and Guide Rail pending;
- Long Hill Township: Long Hill Road, from Division Avenue to Basking Ridge Road, 0.4 miles. Striping, DGA shoulder, tree removal pending;
- Mendham Twp./Chesters: Mendham Road/Main Street, from Route 206 to Jane Terrace, 4.3 miles. Milling and Paving beginning;
- Mt. Arlington: Howard Boulevard, from Stierli Court to Lurk Drive, 1.5 miles. Striping to begin.