News Department

Unified Command continues response to fire aboard motor vessel Grande Costa D’Avorio at Port Newark

PORT NEWARK, NJ — The Unified Command consisting of The Coast Guard, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Newark Fire Department, and Gallagher Marine Systems is continuing its response to the fire aboard the vessel at Port Newark on Friday.

The Unified Command, response personnel and assisting agencies continue to ensure the safety of the public and first responders, conduct fire suppression, protect the environment, and minimize any economic and operational activities in the port area.

As of Friday evening, marine fire fighting specialists are actively conducting fire suppression. Fire fighting efforts are being supported by fire agencies through the Port of New York and New Jersey region, both pierside and on the water. The fire is still contained to the upper decks of the vessel.

The vessel continues to list to the starboard side due to water build up from firefighting activities, but remains stable. Salvage teams are working to remove water from the vessel and counter the list resulting from the fire fighting activities.

Air monitoring continues to be a top priority and the Unified Command has deployed three air monitoring devices, proximate to the ship, to monitor air quality at the incident site. There are additional air monitoring devices setup on the west side of Corbin Street to measure air quality over one mile away from the vessel. Additional air monitoring equipment and staff are scheduled to be deployed to the west side of Newark Airport, Saturday, to ensure a greater range of air quality testing.

At this time, there are no reports of waterway pollution. Response personnel are testing water samples as fire fighting efforts continue.

A security zone is being enforced by the Coast Guard within the Port Newark channel. The Port of New York and New Jersey remains open with limited restrictions. The Port Newark Channel from Berth 18 inward is closed.

A formal investigation will be conducted to identify what caused the fire and subsequent deaths of Newark firefighters Augusto “Augie” Acabou, 45, and Wayne “Bear” Brooks Jr., 49, who were killed after they were trapped in the fire that broke out about 9:25 p.m. on Wednesday, and all parties at the federal, state, and local levels as well as the owners are working closely together during this process.

Jay Edwards

Born and raised in Northwest NJ, Jay has a degree in Communications and has had a life-long interest in local radio and various styles of music. Jay has held numerous jobs over the years such as stunt car driver, bartender, voice-over artist, traffic reporter (award winning), NY Yankee maintenance crewmember and peanut farm worker. His hobbies include mountain climbing, snowmobiling, cooking, performing stand-up comedy and he is an avid squirrel watcher. Jay has been a guest on America’s Morning Headquarters,program on The Weather Channel, and was interviewed by Sam Champion.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button