WalletHub: New Jersey is among 2022’s 15 most independent states
NEW JERSEY – New Jersey is among 2022’s 15 most independent states, according to a study done by WalletHub.
With Independence Day right around the corner and Americans feeling a lot more “independent” from the COVID-19 pandemic this year, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2022’s Most Independent States.
To determine the most self-sufficient states, WalletHub compared the 50 states across 39 metrics, which measure how dependent Americans are on the government and other people for finances, their jobs and personal vices. You can find highlights from the report below.
Independence in New Jersey (1=Best; 25=Avg.):
- 2nd – Median Debt per Income
- 16th – Share of Adults Saving for Children’s College Education
- 9th – Share of Households Receiving Public Assistance
- 20th – Share of Federal-, State- & Local-Government Employees
- 23rd – Share of Jobs Supported by Exported Goods
- 3rd – Share of Current Adult Smokers
Here are the top 5 most independent states:
Here are the top 5 least independent states:
- South Carolina
For the full report, click here.