NEW JERSEY – Boating season is in full swing, and the New Jersey State Police Marine Services Bureau would like to remind everyone of boating safety tips.
State Police want everyone to boat responsibly and here are some tips boaters can follow in order to maintain safe boating practices:
- Operate your boat at a safe speed and be aware of your surroundings including other boaters and structures.
- Riding on the bow or in a undesignated seat is dangerous and can result in serious or fatal injury.
- Make sure to have personal flotation devices for each person on board.
- Make sure to have a fire extinguisher.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out on the water.
- If you plan on drinking, do not operate a boat and have a designated operator.
The State Police also reminds you to do your equipment checks prior to departing the dock to ensure your safety and the safety of boaters around you.
For additional safety tips and boating information, click here.