NEW JERSEY – The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) Wednesday announced 21 teachers as the 2020-2021 County Teachers of the Year during a virtual awards ceremony.
“Our County Teachers of the Year exemplify the dedication and commitment we see in educators throughout the state,” Governor Phil Murphy said. “Now, more than ever, it’s important to celebrate and support our teachers in their efforts to ensure all students have opportunities to succeed.”
“Teachers and schools have the power to change lives, Interim Education Commissioner Kevin Dehmer said. “The County Teachers of the Year who were announced today are being honored not only for their outstanding performance, but also for their high expectations for all students.”
The Governor’s Educator of the Year Program promotes a positive school culture by acknowledging the hard work and dedication of outstanding teachers. Individual schools are encouraged to nominate exceptional educators with diverse backgrounds to ensure that the honorees represent the ethnic/racial diversity of New Jersey. As an added incentive to participate, the New Jersey School Boards Association made it possible for over 2,400 educators who were named as their local school’s educator of the year to receive free virtual educational resources that will benefit their students.
The County Teachers of the Year will network with educators throughout the state and serve as ambassadors for New Jersey’s public schools. A panel of educators then will select the New Jersey State Teacher of the Year based on written applications, video submissions, and interviews with the top finalists.
The New Jersey State Teacher of the Year is typically announced at the State Board of Education’s October meeting and will go on to represent New Jersey in competing for the title of National Teacher of the Year.
Additional information can be found on the Governor’s Educator of the Year webpage.
Here is a list of New Jersey’s 2020-2021 County Teachers of the Year:
- Atlantic County: Philip Pallitto 5th & 6th English Language Arts at Jordan Road School in Somers Point School District.
- Bergen County: Megan Williams 9th-12th French at Tenafly High School in Tenafly School District.
- Burlington County: Michael Dunlea 3rd Elementary at Tabernacle Elementary School in Tabernacle Township School District
- Camden County: Angel Santiago 5th Elementary at Loring Flemming Elementary School in Gloucester Township School District.
- Cape May County: Rachel Krementz 5th-6th Special Education at Ocean Academy in Cape May County Special Services.
- Cumberland County: Kristina Messina 5th Elementary at Mount Pleasant Elementary School in Millville School District.
- Essex County: David Coster 9th-12th Mathematics & Engineering at Cedar Grove High School in Cedar Grove School District.
- Gloucester County: Jami Centrella 6th English Language Arts at Caroline L. Reutter School in Franklin Township School District.
- Hudson County: Alicia Vilas 4th Elementary Dr. at Maya Angelou Elem. School, PS#20 in Jersey City School District.
- Hunterdon County: Angie Mikula PreK-8th Art at Delaware Township School in Delaware Township School District.
- Mercer County: Jessica Merz 1st & 3rd Special Education at Marie H. Katzenbach School for the Deaf.
- Middlesex County: Jaclyn Terebetski 9th-12th Business/Technology at Carteret High School in Carteret School District.
- Monmouth County: Christina Gauss 9th-12th Spanish at Rumson-Fair Haven Reg. High School in Rumson-Fair Haven Reg. High School District.
- Morris County: Christopher Butchko 9th-12th Social Studies at Montville Township High School in Montville Township School District.
- Ocean County: Lucia Giavatto-DiLeo 9th-12th Spanish at Manchester Township High School in Manchester
Township School District.
- Passaic County: Megan Graziano 9th Science at Clifton High School in Clifton School District.
- Salem County: Michelle Williams 9th-12th Science at Woodstown High School in Woodstown Pilesgrove School District.
- Somerset County: Micki Cobos 9th-12th ESL at Somerville High School in Somerville School District.
- Sussex County: Meghan Radimer PreK6th Health & Physical Education at Stillwater Township School in Stillwater School District.
- Union County: Jamie Warner 8th Social Studies at Orange Avenue School in Cranford School District.
- Warren County: Courtney Kopf 9th-12th Science at Belvidere High School in Belvidere School District.